Total duration of the action:
36 months (2011 – 2014)
6.1 million Euros under IPA 2009, including a 5% financial contribution from the
Council of Europe
+ 3 million Euros for a complementary grant scheme.
Target group(s) :
Education policy makers and practitioners (provincial directorates of education,
local authorities, legislative experts, teaching and non-teaching school staff,
textbook writers and evaluators, curriculum developers, inspectors, teacher
trainers), school family unions and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
working in the field of education.
Pupils/students and parents.
Republic of Turkey and more specifically the following provinces: Edirne,
Elazığ, İstanbul, Konya, Manisa, Mardin, Sakarya, Mersin, Samsun, Yozgat.
- Result 1: Education legislation (regulation, by-laws and directives) and
the existing curricula are analysed and strengthened and the curriculum of the
existing elective course and course book on EDC/HRE are redesigned at
secondary level in the light of EDC/HRE.
- Result 2: Awareness- raising and educational materials on EDC/HRE are
developed and introduced in pilot schools and revised.
- Result 3: Basic skills and knowledge of MoNE personnel and concerned
groups developed on EDC/HRE through awareness-raising activities and
- Result 4: Democratic School Culture is promoted and Democratic School
Competence Framework and Manual are prepared.
- Activity 1: Analysing and strengthening education legislation (regulations,
by-laws and directives) based upon the principals of EDC/HRE through a
comprehensive process of analysis, research, study visits and consultations
both within the Board of Education (BoE) and the public.
- Activity 2: Analysing and strengthening curricula based upon the
principles of EDC/HRE.
- Activity 3: Redesigning the curriculum of the existing elective course and
course book on EDC/HRE in secondary education, reviewing following national
implementation, the new compulsory course and course book on EDC/HRE in
primary education, in order to make the two curricula complementary and ensure
progression, and reviewing and revising the “preparatory programme” for
teachers in relation to EDC/HRE.
- Activity 4: Developing and piloting awareness-raising and educational
materials on EDC/HRE in pilot schools and revising them according to the
results of the pilot implementation.
- Activity 5: Training of MoNE personnel to raise their capacity on EDC/HRE,
developing training programmes and materials to be used by teacher trainers to
train other teachers and increasing awareness level of the school community
through in-service trainings and information meetings.
- Activity 6: Developing and piloting a Democratic School Competence
Framework and the accompanying manual in pilot schools and promoting
Democratic School Culture from pre-school to the end of secondary education
through school-based trainings.
- Activity 7: Developing a comprehensive communication strategy and
increasing the level of awareness of the public through launching and closing
events, seminars, a website dedicated to the project and promoting the
accompanying Grant Scheme Programme through information meetings in pilot
- Mr. Salih Çelik, Ministry of National Education Deputy Undersecretary,
Senior Programme Officer (SPO)
Ministry of National Education Projects Coordination Group Presidency
Phone: 0312 418 69 79, 0312 212 38 70
Fax: 0312 212 93 04, 0312 212 93 04
Address: Atatürk Bulvarı No: 98 D Blok 2. Kat Bakanlıklar / Ankara (Mr. Salih
MEB Besevler Kampüsü C Blok 1. Kat 06500 Besevler / Ankara (Projeler
Koordinasyon Grup Başkanlığı)
- Ministry of National Education Board of Education
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Basic Education
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Secondary Education
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Vocational and
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Religion Education
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Special Education
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for General Lifelong
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Private Education
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for Teacher Training
- Ministry of National Education General Directorate for European Union and
- Education Trade Unions